I have been on a
big cooking kick lately, and I made low-carb, sugar-free pumpkin pie from scratch! And I don't mean from a can, I mean from an actual pumpkin.

It's really not too hard to do, but I do appreciate the convenience items more, like the canned pumpkin and the pre-made pie shells. Still, I wanted a pumpkin pie that I could eat that wouldn't send me into a sugar fit.

I made the crust from chopped almonds, a little butter and some Splenda. Then I roasted the pumpkin in the oven after scraping out the innards, and pureed it with the hand mixer. I added goat's milk (another new kick of mine), more Splenda, spices and a couple of farm eggs and
voilĂ 
! A real live, from scratch pie came out of the oven.

Sadly, I didn't get a picture of the finished product. It was good, but I may have to use real sugar next time, or a better sugar substitute, because it did have that sugar-free taste to it. And I think that pecans or pumpkin seeds would have made a better crust. All in all, though, it was a good pie.


This entry was posted on 7:25 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: