Last night I got to have dinner with two old friends that I met in high school. I hadn't seen these two guys since the mid-90s, so there was a considerable amount of catching up to do.

We went to a great sushi place that my sister Spam introduced me to a few weeks ago called Ru San's. I decided yesterday to download the menu before dinner so that I could really look at my options and so I wouldn't spend a lot of time looking at the menu once I got to the restaurant. What you see above is my Godzilla Maki (the one with the sauce) and my Sweet Potato Maki. The Godzilla Maki consisted of chopped macadamia nuts, rolled with red snapper and then fried. after that, it's rolled again with sushi rice and topped with aioli and masago, and then baked. I had to look up what aioli was, and it is an egg, garlic and oil sauce. It was very spicy, but quite tasty. Masago is actually capelin roe, or eggs from a capelin fish.


The Sweet Potato Maki was simply grilled or baked sweet potatoes rolled in sushi rice.

Although the Sweet Potato Maki was on the dry side, overall it was a very good meal with great company. I would recommend Ru San's to anyone in town looking for not only good sushi, but a good variety (thanks Spam!).

Oh, and my friends said I looked just like I did in high school... what affirmation! I would have said the same, except they looked better!


This entry was posted on 6:01 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Momma, where is my...(insert any item)? said...

    You said Spam. It was the only name I could come up with in a hurry and now in WWW land she will be Spam. I think it is cute and even more so now that you have used it! :)

  1. ... on September 11, 2008 at 6:04 PM